Creative Food Cycles “Myco-scape”
27 – 28 – 29 June 2019 | BARCELONA, SPAIN
Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalunya
Barcelona CFC Installation Myco Scape has been developed scaling up the Mutualism project, designed during CFC Workshop Barcelona, by Giovanna Bartoleschi, Evanthia Beristianou, Paula López Barba, Maher Mansour.
Myco-scape is a modular system which supports the growth of edible mushrooms in the urban environment (public space/facades/rooftops), producing both food and construction materials.
It consists of modules to locate the mushroom substrate (straw and mycelium) and an external surface, parametrically designed, tailored to control the environmental conditions (e.g.shading and humidity).
The project, in detail, consists of the two following parts:
> cultivation area: where straw and mycelium spores remains for 3 weeks in order to allow mushrooms formation. After harvesting the mushrooms, the material contained in the cultivation area can be used as a construction material.
> external surface: it is mimicking the texture and function of a tree bark, which is the natural environment for the mushrooms. It has openings for the mushrooms to flower.
In order to develop a growing module as sustainable as possible, wood has been selected for realisation of panels and the frame structure.
A second main objective of the installation, apart from the production of mushrooms, is to act as a demonstrator: creating a ‘culture of caring’ for locally sourced and produced food.
Opening Installation Event Programme
Day One / Thu 27 June 2019:
- 19:00 – 19:30 Launch of the Barcelona Installation “Myco-scape”
- 19:30 – 20:00 Opening speech – Areti Markopoulou (IAAC Academic Director)
- 20:00 – 20:30 Proof of concept demonstration – mushroom vertical farming
- 20:30 – 21:30 CFC DJ set and world cafe
Day Two / Fri 28 June 2019:
- 16:30 – 17:30 Site Visit Valldaura – Open day on advanced farming
- 17:30 – 18:30 Food Circular Design roundtable
- 18:30 – 19:00 Circular Design Symposium launch
- 19:00 – 19:30 CFC partners management meeting
Institut d’Arquitectura Avançada de Catalunya
Pujades 102 baixos, Poble Nou, 08005 Barcelona
Valldaura Lab (Horta-Cerdanyola)
Masia Can Valldaura, 08290 Barcelona